The inaugural Slick was organised in 2016 by ‘Twisted Tread’ – a group of former Laird Leatherman winners and contestants, most notably Laird Leatherman 2012 winner Ben Riethmuller and Laird Leatherman 2014 contestant Grant Maynard who banded together to create a contest for the Rubbermen of Melbourne.
Three contestants competed for the title with a unique identifier colloquially attached during the week.
- Thursday, July 7th – High Shine, Meet the Contestants
- Friday, July 8th – Melbourne Rubberman 2016
- Saturday, July 9th – Rubber Ball Dance Party
- The Laird Hotel, Abbotsford
- Matthew Watts – The Musician
- Lance – The Pup
- Liam Clark – The Sporty Geek
- Ben Riethmuller
- Dean Arcuri
- BJ – Eagle Leather
- Avi Miller – Hide & Seek on JOY 94.9
- Daddy Steve – Laird Leatherman 2015
- Andrew ‘The Apprentice’ – Hide & Seek on JOY 94.9
- The Laird Hotel
- Eagle Leather
- Down an’ Dirty
- Hide & Seek on JOY 94.9
- Piercing HQ
- Rod Spark Photography
- The Naked Barber
The interview portion of the contest was pre-filmed and took place on the Sunday preceding the contest. Each contestant chose a location in the ‘real world’ – Matthew driving in his car, Lance in an alleyway in Clifton Hill and Liam at The University of Melbourne.
The contest night itself consisted of three rounds: Full Rubber Image, Flesh and Fantasy & Talent. The fantasy round provided the most diversity of the evening as Matthew played a mash-up of classical and pop music on his flute, Lance pupped out with his love of inflatables and Liam performed a comedic locker-room fantasy.
At the end of the contest, Liam Clark became our first Melbourne Rubberman, and with that became the first ever rubber title holder from the Southern Hemisphere.